Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Making Baby Food

When I started looking into baby food options for my daughter, I looked at it all. Jarred food, organic food, snack food, etc. I found one option I really liked though- making it myself. What a simple concept, right? Buy healthy, wholesome foods and MAKE it! If this idea sounds stupidly simple, forgive me. For the longest time I the only way to feed your baby was with formula and jarred baby food. The idea of making it myself opened my eyes... Not only to healthier foods for my daughter, but also for my myself.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to try it myself. I bought a butternut squash (3 lbs for $3.25) found a recipe, and went for it. The recipe had me roast the squash until the insides were very soft, put it in the food processor and blend until it became the consistency I wanted. It took a total of about an hour including cooking time.

The end product was perfect. The texture was the same as her Gerber foods! As I said earlier, I paid $3.25 for this squash. I now had over 50 servings (1 oz. each) for only $3.25! I will not try to guess the savings over the other foods, but the next time you go to the store, compare prices! It was so nice to see the cost savings AND know exactly what was in her food. I plan to continue to make her food.

If you would like more information about making baby food, see http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com
(This is where I have gotten a lot of my information, including recipes.) Also, feel free to ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment